a mo an

Saturday, December 10, 2005

How often do you change your bedsheets?

A friend of mine, R, changes hers once in 6 months! Or did I get it wrong? Maybe it's once in a year?

She said there is nothing wrong. She always showers before she sleeps. So the bedsheet is always clean. Makes sense I thought. Maybe I am the paranoid one. Or could be also due to pressure from another clean-freak-colleague who was so shocked beyond words when I told her I usually change bedsheet once a month. She said minimum is 2 weeks!

Now, let's go back to my friend, R. R's logic is, if she is clean before she jumps into bed, then there is no reason why bedsheets have to be changed so regularly. I couldn't find any answer to counter that. Until I came across this article in yesterday's TODAY by a Tan Hui Leng.

Most people think that a little nasal obstruction and sneezing is
harmless......... Also known as hay fever, allergic rhinitis is caused by
allergens such as dust or pollen and affects about 66 million people worldwide.
And because the condition does not severely hamper daily living, patients often
do not take it seriously. In Singapore, the number has increased over the years.
40% of children suffer from this condition and 20% of them have asthma.
Then after I read this article, I realize R always has sneezing fits. She blows her nose all the time. Well, almost all the time, as far as I can recall. And very often, she is always suffering from sore eye. Red or swollen eyes. (Which she makes full use off to get sick leave from work). Now, could it be the bedsheet?? Clean she may claim it to be, but what about the inevitable dead cells she is shedding every second and the dust present in the house. I am sure that contributes to the millions of dust mites dwelling in her mattress of her pillows?

If you visit "National Allergy", you will find this:

Wash sheets, blankets, pillowcases, mattress pads and comforters every
10-14 days in hot (140o F) water. This kills the microscopic dust mites and
washes out allergenic dust mite waste, the real offender. Or consider using
a product like
de-miteā„¢, a laundry additive that can be used in any water temperature to control mites.
S0 my friend, do you think this could be part of the reason?

So what is the standard for changing of bedsheets? Every 2 weeks? Every month? You tell me.

By the way, this same friend shares one towel with the rest of the family. It used to be herself, mother, and 2 sisters. Then 1 sister got married, so it's down to 3. Then another sister moved to Hongkong to work. So it's now down to 2. Of course, the towel is then changed every few days. I have nothing against this. Promotes family bonding and save the earth :) but on the bedsheet thing, I think it has to be changed a little more often than 6 months.


... the one who is heading to Punggol for dinner tonight

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home