a mo an

Saturday, December 09, 2006

An Old Case

A few years ago, a rich old Chinese gentleman commissioned my firm to design a new bungalow for him. He specified that it has to look "grand", and he wanted a tower at the entrance of his house, which is at the end of a long driveway. He also asked for the "Spanish" style, and I remember I was at that time going to Spain for a holiday, so I promised him I'll find some inspiration there. When I returned, I designed for him a house with clay-tile roof, some hints of arches and the pastel colours of the Mediterranean, as our office needs all the fees we could get. But I did not give him a tower. Instead, I tried to persuade him that he was getting 2 flanking mini-towers; to the right and left of the entrance, and this was grander than 1 single tower in the middle. I convinced him to build a model, and hoped it would give him the right vibes (top photo). It didn't. We were gently discharged; he paid us for what we had done up till then, and claimed a family problem has forced him to shelf the project indefinitely.

Recently, I drove near the place and decided I will see what has become of his house. I drove up the gate and from inside the car, snapped the view of his brand new house. The man had gotten what he wanted from another architect. Could I have given him that? Not in a million years... That's precisely why I'm only a poor but happy teacher now.

Chup

2 Comments:

Blogger nan said...

if the aesthetics police exists, this man wld be caught and jailed for life.

4:24 PM, December 11, 2006  
Blogger chuplin said...

well, the other architect was also involved... :-)

7:30 PM, December 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home