a mo an

Monday, March 27, 2006


Return to Kebaya

The last house I designed was completed in Nov 2004. Last Friday, I was summoned by the owner, through the contractor, to return for a meeting at 7.00pm. The contractor told me the owner was unhappy about something. Fearing the worst, I went armed with camera to record any defects that may need some serious thinking over. Reaching there at 7.00pm sharp, I was told that the owner will be late. The contractor was also held up and rushing there. So I had the place more or less to myself. I took the chance to go around scrutinising all the joints. I looked for stain marks, for serious leakages and thought about law-suits and legal fees. I tested the sliding doors to see how smooth they glided. After 10 minutes of a thankfully fruitless survey, I began to relax and sat on the main sofa. It was getting dark and I could look around me in complete solitude. Because the living room doors were closed, the air was still and humid. I could count the number of cars passing by and the noise their engines made. I looked out for mosquitoes but there was none bothering me. The bamboo plant at the front porch had dried up. Otherwise, everything appeared the same as it was 16 months ago. An immense sense of satisfaction came over me. It's quite irrational and not at all easy to describe. I suppose it's like what parents feel when they're with their child. Doesn't matter if the child is dumb or bright. It's their child. There are faults with the design, to be sure. But I wasn't looking or thinking about them at all. Sitting in the twilight, I was wallowing in blissful contentment.

A while later, the owners' daughter returned from school. Then the contractor arrived, and then the owners returned. Soon, we were gathered around the dinner table. The owner was going to have some wine. Do we care to join in? Yes. Red wine. With nuts and anchovies. And the daughter came downstairs to practice the piano beside us. We had to shout to be heard above the music. We talked about restaurants and food. Then about an idea the owner had of improving the dining area. And a new screen coming over the TV area. And then the owner talked to me about some dissatisfaction he had over some matters quite unrelated to the house. I was relieved. That was what he called us for. A means to express pent-up feelings. My camera will not be used that night. We drank on and chatted, and I told them I'd like to bring them to see another house soon. And who knows, maybe we'll have the chance to work together again on another project. God knows, I miss designing and getting my boots dirtied on a work site.

Chup

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home