a mo an

Thursday, November 01, 2007







Birthday present

This is the sumptuos DVD set Lini bought me for my birthday. One of the best DVD packaging I've seen, and of a movie I love at that. (Thanks dear.) Yet sadly, it's probably one of the last few DVDs I'm going to be getting. The days of DVD are numbered. The Blu-Ray version of this package is selling for about $60+ I think. And while it does not have the packaging that this DVD set has, reviews of its sound and picture quality from Amazon has been glowing. Sad how fast these things changes. I remember my first DVD player, bought in Feb 1999 ( I was a late starter). I even remember my first DVDs: Robocop and Starship Troopers. When DVDs were new, they were also retailing at around $40-$60, the price of Blu-Ray and HD discs now... So it's a matter of time before the inventory of titles goes up and the price falls, and then DVDs will be history.
And in my cupboard, there are about 80 or so movies on Laser Discs (remember those?) My LD player finally died on me a couple of months ago. It's a Sony player, and has lasted me for more than 10 years I think. I wonder if I will be laughed at if I ask for new LD player at the departmental stores. What do I do with my LD collection then?
Curiously, VCD has survived, so there'll be DVD players or combo players for both DVDs and Blu-Rays for years to come... Christmas is coming, and it'll will be a good time to shop for a Blu-Ray dics player. Yummy. But what do I do with my LDs?
Chup

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm.. I haven't seen Troy, I have it on DVD in Sydney but I did not have time to watch it before I left. Anyway, LDs can be copied to DVDs. It's a bit troublesome to do, but doable if you have some movies you really want to keep. Singapore may have shops that do that for you? Or if you want to do it yourself, do a Google search under 'Laserdiscs to DVD' and you will find links. You'll have to buy some hardware, though. I've never done it, since I never bought LDs before.
Shan

9:34 PM, January 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks shan. i could get my LD player repaired it seems, but have yet to get that done. i've also slowly replaced what i can of the LD movies when they are available. for example, "El Cid" is finally coming out in dvd in the format it deserves next month.
Chup

10:15 AM, January 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home