a mo an

Wednesday, November 21, 2007


Perfect Pain

This is not a movie review. I read Eileen Chang's short story "Lust, Caution" last night, and then reread parts of it again just to see where the author has set me up to be screwed. And I thought about whether it would've worked had it been longer, more padded out, and I decided probably not. It was like a magician's act; it had to over fairly quickly so that the sleight of hand will conclude the act quickly, before the audience has time to react to the unexpectedness of it all. But the magician's act is thrilling and unbelievable. Chang's story is harrowing and damnably believable. It reminded me of the time many years ago when I finished Edith Wharton's "Ethan Frome" in one sitting and couldn't sleep afterwards. The ending of Chang's story took her a few years to revise and hone, we are informed in the accompanying texts, and the story is over in a mere 45 pages. But its impact is such that its draws for us the question "why?" and the judgement "stupid!" That is the beauty of this taut story, and I can well imagine the movie will be even more painful because the beauty, she, will be given a powerfully physical form. For this reason, I'm content not to watch it. Let perfection be, and let it not spoil my imagination of it.

Chup

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suddenly there are so many posts here. But first thing first. I just finished this book too! Review is here.

I don't get the story. I agree with your the question why and its answer but where's the beauty of the story?

10:30 PM, November 26, 2007  
Blogger chuplin said...

i wrote a long reply then lost it when i posted it. very frus. anyways, just to summarise, it's like a greek tragedy, like oedipuis, well-crafted and we fully emphatise with the human frailty it portrays.

8:13 PM, December 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home