a mo an

Friday, November 16, 2007

Aaron Kwok Concert

Believe it or not, it was my first time ever catching a singing concert. I've watched countless musicals, dance shows, some operas, instrumental concerts such as Bond and Kitaro, or even the 93.3FM Chinese Radio Award (why not, I can catch Faye Wong, Andy Law, Grasshopper etc in just 1 show!) but I have never attended a singing concert before. I've always thought they are expensive and not worth the money. As a result, eventhough Aaron Kwok has been my idol since Secondary school days, I have never watched his concert before.

On 1 Sep 2007, my 2 dear friends, Bur and Dek Poni decided to award me an early birthday present: one ticket to Aaron Kwok's Live in Singapore!! They would also grace the occasion with their generous company, although the only song they could recall by him was probably the one with the famous hand-waving dance action, Ai Pu Wan (Love you endlessly). It goes, tuei ni ai... ai... ai... pu wannnn....

So there it was. My 1st ever singing concert. And best of all, it's free! :) We bought the cheapest tickets but managed to get very decents seats at slightly off centre from the stage. The trick? Try to be later when the concert is starting. In order not to obstruct and disturb the others, the usher would rush you to a quick convenient available seats! Try it... No money-back-guarantee though.

At first I thought we would be the oldest audience in the near full-house Indoor Stadium that night. But not true! The audience ranged from the usual screaming teenage girls, to gay boys, to gay men, and even aunties and uncles. I enjoyed the concert thoroughly, although I must admit parts of the concert was rather "obiang". Meaning of this Singlish (Singapore English) word is: to be embarrassingly out of fashion (Source from here).

Aaron started the concert with a medley, starting with Ai Pu Wan. How appropriate!

There were numerous costume changes, many of which were very effeminate looking, with floral prints or butterfly embroideries. There was a body-hugging costume embedded with hundreds if not thousands of little colourful light bulbs. When the stadium lights were turned off, he glowed like a handphone! Then for the final blast, was another body hugging costume covered with silver sequins accompanied with a pair of gigantic mechanized flapping white wings spanning over 2 metres from tip to tip!

One complain was when Aaron tried to play a tune with his saxophone. A stint which he had trained for many many months. Although we could see how much he wanted to do it right, it became too painful to the ears when he played the deafening out-of-tune tune again and again and again. Spare us please! We appreciate the effort and hardwork, but thanks, but no thanks.

Great experience indeed it was for us! It was a great birthday treat :)
Here are some photos I snapped with my handphone that night. Can't see much but that's the best my handphone could do.

... the one who can't believe my 1-week leave is ending soon


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey.. we watched an organ competition once. Doesn't it count?

I watched Jeff Chang once. In 1997. Alone. In Singapore, of course. I wonder where were you?

10:33 PM, November 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home