a mo an

Monday, April 10, 2006


Of Bees and Flowers

Every time I’m home in Seri Kembangan, there’s something interesting developing in the gardens. Stray birds would fly in. There was once a bird nest that was destroyed by our cat. On another occasion our very loving cat had died of rat poisoning. Then there’ll be rambutan picking season. In the last trip, 2 birds came into the house regularly and ate the rice my father threw on the floor. This, in spite of the fact that our docile dog was right there with them.

Now, there’s a beehive forming quite merrily less than 1.5m away from the window of my work table. Day by day, I see it getting weightier, and the bottom honey combs that were exposed one day would be covered the next. But we’ll leave it be. They are not a nuisance at the moment and they deserved a place of work so why not our tree? I just wonder how it will end. When will they outlive the hive (is that what it's called?) and move on?

Speaking of gardens, here’s a photo of the flowers that my friend Seksan has planted on his roof terrace recently, or within the last few months anyway. Every time I visit him, he has something new to show, or else the creepers over his walls have grown such that the place is just a wee bit unlike before. By luck, the flowers were in full bloom during my visit, and the sun was out too. The photo only shows half of what was there, as there was hardly any place to move and I did not have a wide-angle lens. He tends to them everyday.
Chup

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home