a mo an

Tuesday, April 29, 2008


Melben vs Uncle Leong @ Ang Mo Kio

Rating for Melben: ***1/2
Rating for Uncle Leong: ****
Price: below S$30 per pax
Add for Uncle Leong: Ang Mo Kio Ave 3 St 22, Blk 233
Add for Melben: Across the carpark from Uncle Leong's
Telp for Uncle Leong: 65543453 (U'll succeed most of the time)
Telp for Melben: 62856762 (Good luck to you if you try to make reservation!)


Many of you would probably have heard of these familiar names in the crab industry. Let me give my 2 cents worth. Both are famous for their Butter Crab, Chili Crab, Golden Sand Crab and also XO Crab Bee Hoon.

All along I have always eaten at Uncle Leong. There is some queue but never unbearable. Across the car park, the queue is always a scene of madness.

One day, I arrived early and decided to give up my reservation at Uncle Leong to try the much talked-about Melben. Apparently owners are brothers who went their own ways. I was warned, "Miss, queuing time is 1.5 hours and waiting time for food to come is another 1 hour ya!". I bravely said "Yes".

While queueing, I took the chance to 'interview' some customers who are in the same queue. "Is the food here really much better than Uncle Leong's". The answer: "Don't know. We only eat here. Never even tried Uncle Leong before".

1.5 hours and 2 curry puffs later, it's finally our turn to be seated. We ordered our food and as warned, 2.5 hours later, we were finally able to tuck in. I am sorry to disappoint but in my opinion, I really feel that Melben is over-hyped. I honestly do not think that their standard far surpasses that of Uncle Leong's. They are equivalent but one comes with much much longer wait. In fact, I thought some dishes from Uncle Leong taste better. One suggestion I would like to give to Uncle Leong is, put some chili padi into the Butter Crab dish.

So if you ask me, just go for Uncle Leong!

But if you die-die must have Melben, they do have other outlets you can try. They are located at Blk 211 Lor 8 Toa Payoh and also at Pasir Ris.

Good luck and happy trying!

...the one who hasn't had crab for more than half a year now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home