a mo an

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Ironies of Life

This is something I always wonder… We often have many excuses when it comes to visiting our parents or more so, our grandparents. This is especially true for the case of my family. My grandpa has children, grandchildren and relatives almost all over the cities in the world: Jakarta, Takengon, Medan, Singapore, Ipoh, Vancouver, Qingdao, Tokyo and Dubai. Everyone has their own schedules and timetables. And the reasons we give for not being able to pay him a visit is aplenty. Can’t take leave…, Air ticket too expensive…, Work commitment…, Not enough leave…, Gotta take care of schooling children… and the list goes on and on and on.

However, funny enough, when he passed on, suddenly all are able to beat all odds and attend the funeral procession. Why so? To pay last respect? Or is it guilt of not visiting during earlier ocassions? Suddenly now they can take leave from their hectic schedule? Wouldn’t my grandpa be happier to be visited by so many when he was alive and conscious during his birthday for example, rather than on his funeral?

Who is more guilty? Someone who visits the grandparent on his birthday but unable to attend his funeral or vice versa? You tell me...

...the one who is still wondering

photo credit

2 Comments:

Blogger FALSE said...

Good question, I'm afraid I have no answers.

9:58 PM, December 19, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who lives far away from home, I refuse to even contemplate :p

11:34 PM, January 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home