a mo an

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Palau Experience (Video 1)
Rating: *****!!!!

I have been wanting to share the experience of my Palau diving trip with everyone for the longest time. Somehow, there are always other distractions for me.

This time, doing this is serving as a nice distraction instead. I am studying for my Module 9 (on Life Insurance and Investment Link Policies. Yawn yawn, right?) and writing about my Palau experience has served to become a distraction that I could not resist.

Really, words would not be able to describe what it was like for me diving in Palau. So I conclude, showcasing video clips of the trip would be the best way to tell my story.















It was right after Chinese New Year that 4 of us: Brother Sharx, his friends Sharon and WL and yours truly departed for our Palau Trip.

Here's a little background of where and what is Palau:

Officially known as the Republic of Palau, is an island nation in the Pacific Ocean, some 500 miles (800 km) east of the Philippines. Having emerged from United Nations trusteeship (administered by the United States) in 1994, it is one of the world's youngest and smallest nations. It is sometimes referred to in English under its native name Belau.

This was our flight schedule:
1. Singapore - Cebu (3.5 hours)
2. Cebu - Davao (1 hour)
3..... after 10 hours of transit time, Davao - Koror (2 hours)

We took Cebu Pacific budget Air (around S$200) followed by Asian Spirit Air.

If you have the extra budget, you can cut down step 1 and 2, and also shorten the 10 hours transit time, by taking direct Singapore - Davao flight with Silk Air.

And before I start, allow me to share some details of the trip, which was organized by Brother Sharx.

Palau 20-26 Feb 2007
Twin: USD1,120

Price includes:
- Round Trip air ticket Davao-Koror
- Airport Transfers
- 7D6N stay at studio apmt Lehn's Motel (aircon, attached bath, hot shower)
- 5 diving days (3 boat dives/day, 2 boat dives last day)
- total 14 boat dives with tanks, weights, boat and guide
- lunch and drinks during diving days
- diving permits for Koror State and Peleliu State
- all taxes



I am a Kite!
- Blue Corner

This is the most memorable experience for me for Palau. It's what they call "Action Dive" using reef hooks. Done normally at "Blue Corner" (my favourite dive site in Palau!), the guide will then pick a spot on the reef near the edge and use the reef hooks (to minimize damage to the reef) to 'anchor' the divers. At this spot, the current is usually very strong, but it is during such strong current that you see all the big action! You might hang in the current for ten minutes or more just watching the action - this is as natural as you will observe sharks. The sharks will circle over and over allowing you the opportunity to photograph or just observe them up close and personal.

More about Palau Diving and detailed description of each dive site can be found on this link.
I'd be splitting the 11 video clips into several sections as the blog just kept getting crazy when I cramped all 11 of them into 1 entry! In total, I have officially spent almost 3 hours away from my book trying to put them up for your viewing pleasure. Photo and video credits: Bro Sharx
... the one who is guilty beyond imagination now! :@

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home