a mo an

Saturday, March 15, 2008










Addiction
Exactly a year ago, I was holed up in the Hyatt hotel in Jakarta, trying my hand at comic strips. This holiday, the new hobby is bird photography. Except it's turning into a bit of an obsession. These were taken on the way to the tennis court at my old place this morning (15 Mar). Caught the Yellow-vented Bulbul stooping and clutching the spider. Spotted 3 new species that I could find the names to today. At the marshes was the shy White-breasted Waterhen. It has this smiley face. The few of them made a racket behind the trees. Then there was the Common Iora, the yellow-breasted hyper-active bird. This one (2nd last photo) is a female. The male has a black-top head. The last one is the Paddyfield Pipit. No including common birds like the Javan Myna and crows, that is 8 species of birds I've seen around Kent Ridge Park so far during the last 2 weeks.
Chup

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lik Ren,

I found out the name of the bird (in the third pict) which you asked me during our tennis session. It is called the White-Breasted Waterhen. It generally feeds on the ground in watery habitats but occassionally climbs into low low shrubs to feed on seeds. Will loan you my book on Birds of Sgp this Sat.

Rgds

Hock Teck

9:56 AM, March 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home