a mo an

Monday, March 27, 2006

Church search

A couple of weeks ago, I was delighted when Lini suggested she was willing to visit a church near our home to see what it was like. I have not been going to church for a while now, and I do not miss it. I enjoy my Sunday morning tennis games at my condo, and this has been on-going for about 8 years now. As for Lini, she enjoys sleeping late on Sundays. So why change the ritual?

Well, the one thing that would make church-going attractive for me again would be a chance to hear some good exposition of the Word. I say "hear" with a bit of emphasis. I have seen churches adopting management trends that got the whole congregation "speaking" on the basis that this is good for mass edification, and seen members leaving meetings with mass starvation. Then there are those who will say going to church is a duty, not a privilege. You're supposed to go for meetings regardless of whether you feel edified or not. Yup, I know all about all that. And nope, I won't lose sleep over all that nagging.

But duties aside, the thought that somehow, somewhere, there is a place where the bible is opened up and presented with weight, relevance and insight, where the words are respected and honoured, studied and treasured, that remains my dream assembly. Does such a place exist? For me, it once did, but I have not be able to find the same since, and hence my parched condition today. What went wrong with the place I once visited? At the risk of over-simplification, the church shifted its emphasis from word to work. There was a big shake-up; some felt we were only talking and not doing, we were in danger of becoming dead-wood, caught up with semantics, going nowhere with evangelism. So there was a revolution. The young and energetic out-shouted the old and lethargic. Camps were formed, intolerance grew; those resisting the new movement were branded "stumbling blocks" and "rebels". Soon, the church fractured into two. I stayed on with the "old" guards for a while. And then I decided to take a leave of absence. I had my own dreams to chase.

But back to the present. Last week, my very understanding group of tennis kakis agreed to change our tennis sessions from Sunday to Saturday, just so I can be free to go to church on Sunday mornings. I didn't insist but they did it for my good, and for that I'm grateful. So yesterday, I trooped out to visit that church I'd been eyeing. This happens to be a Brethren church, precisely the denomination I think I will like because they are known to have produced some of the greatest bible teachers in the 19th cent. There was about 300 members during the 9am session. It was a cosy place, and I felt comfortable there. There was the young and the old, the plain and the trendy, mixing well together. The maids were also seated together with the families they serve. But as I sat on, I realised that I wasn't going to find much sharing of the bible that morning. There was a mime show put up by some who will be going on a mission trip to Philippines. And a video presentation of the same trip. Then announcements of on-coming events. "World Prayer Day" and a video presentation on this, then something about self seeking group to counter Da Vinci Code, and so on. Mind you, these are all before the main message of the day. I waited for the main message, which had the uninspiring title of "CG Day" on the programme sheet. I was wondering what "CG" stood for and tried anticipating it. Alas, when the message came, I learnt that it stood for "Care Group Day". Really now. Then the pastor showed a video clip of a man out-running a cheetah to rescue a deer, and said that's what care group is all about, and read testimonials of those who find care groups wonderful. 15 minutes into this, I got up and left. I realise that as I get older, I get more impatient. I am reminded about that story in the gospels where Jesus went into the house of Martha and Mary, and Martha "was distracted with much serving" while Mary just sat and listened. Many churches are like Martha, "worried and troubled over many things." But the choosing of "that good part", where can I find it today? Can I find a place where pastors actually spend time gleaned from looking for video clips of cheetahs to conscientious study of the bible? I'm being cheeky here, I know, but where is today's G.H.Pember, whose "Earth's Earliest Ages" published in 1876 is still in circulation today? Or G.H.Lang? Or C.H.Mackintosh? These were scholars not only of the bible, but of the classics, and could refute Darwin with the highest conviction. A flock fed on a diet of their teachings would be so trained on what constitutes good writing that they won't last beyond 1 page of Da Vinci Code, much less be persuaded to spend an afternoon listening to speakers on how to counter it!

And now, my Sunday mornings are free. To be fair, I'll probably visit the Brethren church a few more times. Then, if I do not find what I need, I'll consider doing my own study. (And it'll include the text of other religions and cultures.)

Chup

2 Comments:

Blogger nan said...

well, you may want to give New Creation another try. I was skeptical about the church at first cos of all the talk about it preaching a message of cheap grace. but i've come to realise it is about free grace - undeserved favor and blessings. the sunday sermons are all about the teaching of the Word. none of those management theories about Group 12, cell group, the 4 Ps of outreach, the 5 Zs of christian living. i attend the 2pm service with my mum every sunday. let me know if you are interested to join us.

11:56 PM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger chuplin said...

thanks much. new creation is the rock right? i've tried it a few times, and it's ok. i'm looking at a smaller crowd though, cos it's more personal that way. and i also like churches with many 'senior citizens'. i like talking to people who've been through a lot in life. i wasn't comfortable at the rock. will try others first. thanks again.

10:12 PM, March 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home