a mo an

Thursday, January 31, 2008


Mahler's Third
One night after La Traviata I was back at the Esplanade for Mahler's 3rd Symphony. It has always been my favourite symphony, what with everything thrown in and a monumental choir , I have 5 versions of it on CDs. The first time I heard it live, about 14 years ago, I cried. This time round, I'm sturdier, but it was still an exhilarating, moving concert! Playing it on CD later, Lin asked me to turn off the "funeral music". It's a rather apt description of the first movement but I should've skipped to the sublime 6th movement to begin with. I thought I saw L Seah tearing as she played that. The SSO was in top form. Sigh.
Chup

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lin asked me to turn off the "funeral music

Ahahahahahah!

V

7:32 PM, February 06, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I totally agree-- it was simply fantastic! Look out for my review of the SSO performance in a week or so, see www.createlevoyage.com

4:02 PM, February 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home