a mo an

Saturday, January 14, 2006




Latest images

Here are more images from the Chinese perspectivist of my design in Qingdao. As I post this, I've just watched a documentary on I.M. Pei. For a long period of time, I was fascinated by his work, as well as the fact that he was able to make it big in the States; this oriental gentleman, son of a banker father and poet/calligrapher mother. I've consciously studied and applied his works in some of my designs; most so in the bus stop I did outside his local Gateway buildings (columns clad in curved granite- you won't get that anymore with today's budget control...) and the Teo Ann Huay Kuan in Geylang. But I've forgotten about all that, until I see the main entrance design for Qingdao in this perspective, with its curved granite steps, and the slight play of geometry, and its the Dallas Meyerson Hall feeling again. The curved steps are deliberatedly off-centre so that it relates to the geometry inside the entrance. The red ceiling and wall is my nod to Chinese tradition. It's a design tendency that seeps out sub-consciously, from things you've absorbed long ago. I.M. Pei is never particularly trendy amongs students of architecture, who see him as this old foggy from another era, but I love his work and am happy to admit it. His are functional, urbane, well-designed and well-executed buildings hugely popular with the public.
As for the images of the office, the first is the office of the director; the second is a modified view, with 1 wall removed so that one can see how the deputy director's room (foreground) relate to lounge area.
Chup

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home